Sunday, February 15, 2009

Generators, leopards and monkeys

Thursday, a 1kv old generator was sent to the routine lab. That was an interesting option, as we had to strategically figure out which of the necessary lab analyses pieces of equipment could actually be supported one or two at a time sequentially in order to properly process patient samples. At last, we worked something out! The senior electrician, Astaman dai, is a man much in demand here! Here are some pics.

 

Friday, the leopard struck. Around 6pm, I was up near the center of the compound on the playground with some of the kids in front of the main hospital. A stray dog had come within the past few weeks and adopted the nearby house. Since he had been fed and some of the children liked him, he was beginning to settle and show how friendly and playful he could be. One of the 5 yr old’s dared to aim and fire a water pistol at me, so of course I had to respond. As I grabbed him a bear hug, the 2 ½ ft tall dog came “somewhat” playfully jumping and barking, thinking that I was attacking the child. J As it was getting dark, we soon left to go to our homes. Minutes later, as dusk fell, the teenager in the nearest home hear a leopard’s growl and a sharp yelp. She looked out the front door to see the leopard disappear around the side of her home. A few minutes later, some of the men sighted the leopard with the dead dog down the path. The leopard left the body, the men left and then the leopard came back and took the dog’s body. Very few attempt pets here, because this is a common end of the story.

 

I think that the leopard should have hunted the monkey instead. Last week, Dr. Indra left for a training workshop in Thailand and left me his slingshot. During the weekend, the monkey visited my home. I turned and saw him sitting at my screen door while I cleaned my kitchen. I shooed him off. He moved to the window sill on the other side to eat seeds for next year’s garden. I yelled at him through the window. He made a mocking wide mouthed face at me. Out the door I went with the sling shot in hand. He darted off around the front of the house and up the stairs as I followed. As he made the top of the first round of steps, he stopped to check himself. I shot a stone, which went no where near him. I hit my own thumb. Then he ambled off to the left out of sight in front of the guest house. At first, I thought he was leaving. Then it dawned on me that my back door was left open from my rapid exit. I ran around back. Sure enough, he was there jumping down to my roof and then peering down to see if I was there. Not wanting him to know how bad a shot I am, I just shook and aimed the slingshot at him. Then I went inside and he left. He’s survived the leopard 10 years. It’s not likely that he’ll fall prey now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh noo!!! el leopardo mato al perro